Scripture:
2 Samuel 16:4 "Then the king said to Ziba, “Behold, all that belonged to Mephibosheth is now yours.” And Ziba said, “I pay homage; let me ever find favor in your sight, my lord the king.”"
Observation:
David is fleeing from Absolom and is set for a battle in the future. Spies have been sent, and the stage is set. Along the way though, David runs into Ziba the old servant of Mephibosheth (the grandson of Saul). She has prepared an offering of food for David and his family, and when asked where her master was she replies that he stayed in Jerusalem to obtain his inheritance [or his 'kingdom' back, as a descendant of the previous king*]. At the time, it must have seemed like Absolom was going to be the king of Israel for many years to come so the wise choice would have been to stay with her master and dwell in the safety of the kingdom. Instead, she pledges her faithfulness to David and is rewarded by receiving Mephibosheth's reward.
Application:
Loyalty and faithfulness is rewarded. Even when the situation may point to the contrary (again, it would have seemed appropriate to stay in Jerusalem and serve Mephibosheth under the new king Absolom), Ziba knew that the right place to be was with David. There's not much more to this verse than being a reminder to always remember that these things do not go unnoticed. Just like Ziba, our reward will come because we stay true to our King.
Prayer:
Lord,
I pray that I always return to you. No matter what other choices are out there Lord, I pray that my heart is always guided by the spirit and reminded that you are the best that is out there. Thank you for presenting yourself as an option in everything, that I may seek your kingdom above all else. In your name I pray,
Amen.
*I may be misunderstanding what it means by 'kingdom of my father' but the point stands nevertheless. Mephibosheth was eyeing a reward.
No comments:
Post a Comment