Friday, January 3, 2014

A malleable mind.

Google and re-reading this passage in The Message saved me from misinterpreting a huge portion of today's reading. Haha, you can never be too careful! I almost thought that David continued with the building of the temple for the Ark of the Lord. I didn't think it would be a bad thing anyway and I would have said the same thing Nathan did. In fact, was actually going to use that as a reason to take care of the house of the Lord... but that's not what happened.  Instead I'm going to go with a different angle but from the same passage.

Scripture
2 Samuel 7:1-17. Specifically, v3-4; "And Nathan said to the king, “Go, do all that is in your heart, for the Lord is with you."  But that same night the word of the Lord came to Nathan,". [ESV]

Observation
David has just been made the King of Israel and in the middle of the battles he brought the Ark of the Lord to Jerusalem. Then David suggests he build a temple for the Ark, and Nathan gives him the green light [it is Nathan that is the focus of my SOAP].  Then God comes to Nathan and speaks to him and Nathan relays the message back to David.  The message essentially is that God had done so much without a temple (made of cedar) and had not required one. He still does not need one. Instead, God makes a covenant with David to build him a house.

Application
I would have just been like Nathan. I would have thought, "that'd be a nice gesture David. Do it. Build Him a house".  I wouldn't, however, have been as quick as Nathan to respond to God's correction.  Once I make up my mind about something, I'm a very stubborn person.  I'd like to think that God coming to me in a vision would make it easier, but I'm just not that sure.  I read recently that the only way to always be right is to always be open to change [author unknown].  This is especially true with the Word of God. I may believe something to be true, and there may not even be anything intrinsically wrong about that particular position, but if God says jump, I JUMP. That's the way it has to be. My mind has to be less stubborn, my ear more carefully tuned to his voice, my heart more open to correction. I always want to be right, but He is righteous. He wins.

Prayer
Dear Jesus,
Please make my mind soft and pliable. Work in and through me that I may always be better with you than I could possibly be on my own.  Give me an ear to know your voice and take away any spirit of stubbornness that I may always be willing to be corrected. In your name I pray,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment