Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Everything X Sacrifice

Time for a mashup! Slightly shorter written components because I have chosen 2 separate verses/passages for today. Bring it!

Scripture:
A) 2 Samuel 22
Entirety
B) 2 Samuel 24:21
"But the king said to Araunah, “No, but I will buy it from you for a price. I will not offer burnt offerings to the Lord my God that cost me nothing. .."

Observation:
A) This is David's song of thankfulness and deliverance after realizing all that God has done for him in protecting him as King of Israel.  It's LONG and full of praise to the almighty.
B) Just before David dies he asks Joab to organize a consensus to be taken of all of Israel counting his men.  The implicit sin is that David is prideful and wants to take notice of all the things he has won, no longer attributing his past victories to the Lord.  He is judged for this sin, punished with 3 days of pestilence in all of Israel (leading to 70,000 deaths*), and finally told to build an altar.  To do this, he required the land of Araunah who kindly offered it to his king. David would not accept this so he paid him for it.

Application:
A) One of those weird goals of mine is to be a competent to good writer. I want to write stories, songs, poems, anything, and everything.  David wrote this whole song, and the Psalms, all to glorify his maker.  That sort of passion for Christ can't be lost on me. I want every part of my being to be devoted to bringing glory to His name. I want to use every gift that is in me to bring Him praise.  Let's begin with some chants? WOOO #YDAliveCamp! 
B) I love this line.  It shows the heart of a burnt offering, and that is sacrifice.  It is evident in Jesus' life that no sacrifice we can ever make is good enough to reach Him, but it is clear from this quote of David that no offering is good enough unless we have paid for it.  Our monetary offerings are nothing if money weren't valuable. Our devoted time would be pointless if there weren't other things we could do with that time.  In all it's clear that to serve him anything, we must give something up. It is this act that shows love.

Prayer:
Dear heavenly father, I pray that I take both these lessons to heart. I pray that you give me a passion for your name that can't be controlled, one that presents itself through me glorifying all that You are in any way that I can.  I also pray, Lord, for a sacrificial heart. I pray that I compare all things to the precious life you have given me, and that I never hold back from giving these blessings up if it means I'm doing something that pleases you.  I pray for camp tomorrow Lord. I pray that everything runs smoothly; all kids arrive safely and on time, that everybody enjoys themselves, but above all, I pray that lives are changed. This is a time for great memories, but a bigger opportunity for an encounter with your holy spirit.  In your name I pray,
Amen.

*Oddly this was preferred because it was God's hand, not another human's. Not if we'd feel the same today.

No comments:

Post a Comment