Saturday, January 11, 2014

Anger isn't the problem.

Second night after a long drive. Tonight was amazing - just needed to mention that. Alive is reaching people. 2014 is ours. The victory has already been won. The battle has been set. Fun fact, we are warriors. Also, I love the men of Life.  I'll carry on quickly so I can get to bed.

Scripture:
Psalm 4:4 "Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. "

Observation:
This is from a Psalm titled "Answer me when I call" by David. Starting in verse 2, David starts speaking to the men to drop some knowledge.

Application:
There are so many things about this verse! I want to use it against my mom because she says 'be slow to anger' implying that being angry is a bad thing- nope. Anger is not the problem. It's the symptom; the effect. Also, I'm intrigued by the advice to ponder and by silent. This sounds like the 'seething' sort of upset person, which I am not usually. Maybe there is a right way to handle aggression? Anyway, I think this is just good advice in general. As mentioned, I'm 'passionate' but with that comes a fuse that has become shorter and shorter in recent years.  I need to reign that in and the second part of this verse is where it comes into play; reflection. The bible is pretty big on reflecting on your actions and this verse is no different. Finding out exactly why I'm angry is the new plan of action. 'In your beds' means private. Reflect quietly to make sure I don't let the action trigger sins like disobedience.  Anger in itself isn't horrible, but it leads to worse actions.

Prayer:
Lord I pray that you continue to work in me. Help me become a more patient person. I thank you for never giving up on me, and I have the strength to make all the chances you've given me worthwhile. Allow me to grow in patience and be able to stop sin before it happens. In your name I pray,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment