Scene Selection: God arrives.
1) Job 37:4 - Thunder - Then there comes a roaring sound; "God thunders with His majestic voice"
More of God's wonder and splendour being revealed through his word. Perhaps people once believed that the thunder was him actually speaking (see next few points), but I guess you can also dig deeper and try to figure out what thunder meant for people symbolically too.
2) Job 37:5 - Unexplainable - "He does great things that we cannot comprehend"
More support of the idea that we can never fully understand God. He is too great for us to try to figure out, let alone attempt to explain fully.
3) Job 37:15 - Context - "Do you know how God directs His clouds or makes their lightning flash?"
This is Elihu speaking to Job. Now firstly, it is apparent that we are in a very different time from when the bible was first written. Things like clouds/lightning (others mentioned in today's reading) were completely not understood. It makes me wonder what the verse would say if it were written in modern day, given how much science has 'revealed' about the world. Secondly, this raises the important issue of God vs. Science; an issue that I fully intend to explore within my mind, and possibly online. [Science could just be explaining HOW God is working, rather than disproving him].
4) Job 37:3-4 - Fear again - "In His justice and righteousness, He will not oppress. Therefore, men fear Him. He does not look favorably on any who are wise in heart"
The second portion of the verse[s] is quite clear; God does not like proud, or arrogant people. We should fear Him because of this. After all, we all want God on our side. But then there's the first part that says he will not 'oppress'. By definition this means that God will not put you through hardship. If that's the case, then why would we fear? Also, doesn't he test us? What does this mean?
5) Job 38:3 - God's call - "Get ready to answer Me like a man; when I question you, you will inform Me."
Here's a lesson in humility. If I am ready to complain or question [about] God, then I must be ready to answer His calls whenever it occurs. The phrase "like a man" probably meant something different when this was written, but the contemporary, colloquial meaning it has works; don't come to God without preparation.
6) Job 38:22-23 - Skepticism - "Have you entered the place where the snow is stored? Or have you seen the storehouses of hail, which I hold in reserve for times of trouble, for the day of warfare and battle?"
Firstly, I know I can be a bit critical of the Bible, but I believe that only by questioning His word, will my conviction grow. That being said, this chapter is a whole lot of God pointing things out that Job did not understand. Again, would these same things be mentioned in current times given our level of understanding? Also, hail is God's weapon? "In times of trouble?"
7) Job 40:1-5 - Backup - "Let him who argues with God give an answer"
This somewhat backs up number 5. But more to the point, now that God has pointed out Job's mistake, He is essentially telling him that he has no write to argue anymore. Once God speaks, what is the point of debating? [Perhaps something to remember next time I get into an argument with my mom too.
8) Job 40:8 - Reasoning - "Would you really challenge My justice? Would you declare Me guilty to justify yourself?
This is more of a warning against something that I could be found guilty of constantly. Blame cannot be put on God. He is just. We (or rather I) are (am) at wrong.
9) Job 40:15 - Short note - "Look at Behemoth"
First mention of "Behemoth". Mostly I'm just curious about it/him. Nothing's too clear. Is he real?
10) Job 41:11 - Ownership - "Everything under heaven belongs to Me"
Reminder that this life, and everything in it is under a lease. He owns it. He controls it. We are His. With that could come the issue of respecting his property? [Argument against vandalism, haha. Perhaps a bit of a stretch.]
11) Job 42:3 - Concede - "Surely I spoke about things I do not understand, things too wonderful for me to know."
At this point, there is nothing left that Job could/should do; He gives in. He understands a little more clearly that God is in control of everything. Something hard to fathom, but true nonetheless. It was clearly time for him to shut up.
12) Job 42:8 - Old habits - "I will surely accept his prayer and not deal with you as your folly deserves."
In the times before Jesus; This is how sins/mistakes were rectified. I am SO glad that Jesus came. Sacrificial animals are not my thing.
FOR THOUGHT AND CONTEMPLATION: "God often deals with out problems and difficulties not by removing them, but by giving us a greater vision of Himself. This may not remove the irritating circumstances, but it deepens our conviction that God knows what He is doing."
Isaiah 55:8
Remember to show this to Miguel. Biblical version of the quote from Evan Almighty, haha.
Director's Commentary:
- No deep thoughts (That I can remember) just a quick rundown of the day.
- Early morning pick-up for Balikbayan.
- Church
- Birthday lunch for my mother at Outback Steakhouse.
- R.I.P. Whitney Houston.
- Family dinner at home. Not a bad way to spend the Sunday overall.
Bonus Footage:
Bringing context to the title of the post.
No comments:
Post a Comment