1) Job 24:22 - but they're good people? - "Yet God drags away the mighty by His power; when He rises up, they have no assurance of life."
Again Job is questioning where God's favour lies. After all the bad things that God let Satan do to him, Job is wondering why God hasn't stepped in. To me this is reasonable. At times this does seem like the case. However the "for thought and contemplation" reminded me that bad things occur as stepping stones to even greater future goods.
2) Job 25:4 - Sexism? - "How can one born of woman be pure?"
Contextually, Bildad is just saying that no man cannot be justified before God by his own merits (something the resurrection freed us from) by saying that all men are impure. But the phrasing of this leads me to question sexism in the bible. Is this a reflection of God's intention, or (the more likely, at least to me) past values based on those who wrote it. **
3) Job 27:6 - Admirable - "I will cling to my righteousness and never let it go"
With nothing left after what had happened, Job claimed that he would never lose his integrity by clinging to his righteousness. Another quality of Job that should be not only respected, but emulated to the best of my ability.
4) Job 27:19 - More wicked-bashing - "He lies down wealthy but will do so no more"
Again Job decides to speak on the way the wicked will be punished one day. For chapters upon chapters he speaks on this. More and more metaphors are used by I think in a world that is becoming more and more materialistic this particular verse puts it will. Essentially the money of the wicked will be taken from them. Something to hope for? Money belongs in the hands of those who will spend it wisely. It is a responsibility.
5) Job 28:28 - Fear and Wisdom - "Look! The fear of the Lord - that is wisdom, and to turn from evil is understanding"
Again, the idea of fearing God is brought up. Here, it says that fearing the Lord is the definition of wisdom (another topic that intrigues me), and that understanding comes from our ability to turn away from evil. Still unsure. More to ponder I guess.
6) Job 29:24 - Countenance / Smile - "Of I smiled at them, they couldn't believe it; they were thrilled at the light of my countenance"
This really just served as confirmation to the word spoken by Pastor Judah Smith a few weeks ago at Hillsong Church. He related the phrase "lifting my countenance" to God smiling. And at least in the way Job uses it, he seems to be right. I love Judah Smith.
7) Job 30:23 - What is Death? - "death - the place appointed for all who live"
Here is a topic that I reluctantly approach. Death is not the most comforting thought to me. Job takes the sting out of the words, by reminding me that it is for all. It is not a curse, it is a shared instance for both the wicked and the saved. It's a bold reminder of mortality. But what about curing diseases and cancer, or even singularity? What is His word regarding these things?
* * *
Director's Commentary
- I don't think I did much at all on Friday, at least not during the day.
- I did hang out with K. Doods, Miguel, Paolo and Ashlyn for dinner. Mexican food (at MadMex) and dessert/drinks (at Max Brenner) are always a hit.
- On that note, I had my first meal that included rice this entire year. Considering the sort of food that filipinos eat, I count this as an accomplishment on its own. But this is how i slipped; I was ordering food for Ash (with her dictating her choices over the phone) as well as mine. My order was neglected (my own fault) which led to rice erroneously being added to my burrito. I could not take it out, so it became my dinner. LAME.
- Ash left, and the boys went to get drinks and played video games. Not a bad night.
* * *
Bonus Footage - Spoken word with passion. Phil Kaye and Sarah Kay for life. Listen and you'll FEEL the emotion. Tears welling, obsession forming.
"You watch a sunset too often, it just becomes six PM"
- LTTE Idea : NEWER testament?
No comments:
Post a Comment