"Sanctified"
1 Chronicles 15:14 "So the priests and the Levites sanctified themselves to bring up the ark of the Lord God of Israel." [NKJV]
In chapter 13, someone named Uzza was killed for not transporting the Ark of the Lord in the way that the Lord had wanted. In fact, all he did wrong was touch it. But because of this the Lord struck him down. This led to a disagreement between God and David resulting in the Ark staying in the house of Obed-edom for three months. This time, David had prepared a place in his city for the Ark. He specifically told the Levites to sanctify themselves before transportation. He said in verse 13, "For because you did not do it the first time, the Lord our God broke out against us, because we did not consult Him about the proper order.” David was now acknowledging that they had not prepared themselves correctly the first time, and that was why Uzza had been punished. They were not going to let that happen this time, so they sanctified themselves in the eyes of God. In doing so, they prepared themselves in the way God would want.
This verse stood out because of what Pastor Rudy had said at last Sunday's teaching. There was a point where he said that everything they do at FCF was rooted in the bible. Everything had a reason, and that was something you could approach him about if you didn't know. In that context, this verse gives me the reason why we pray before services, or before bible study. Specifically, this shows me why I should approach him before even reading my bible. In preparation for performing a task like transporting an Ark, the Levites had to purify themselves and assure their actions and minds were aligned to God. This is an important practice that I would like to consciously introduce. I want to make sure that I approach Him before everything. (This is why I have tried to switch my time in His word to mornings.) I want to make sure that I too am sanctified and ready for whatever God has planned for me. I just want to do things His way.
No comments:
Post a Comment