Just a couple of quick notes:
1) I wanted to start the year strong; I wanted to start it right.
2) I wanted a fresh start, ESV for 2014 it is.
3) I wanted to start better archiving my SOAPs because I think I may have done this upcoming verse in previous #readingplan cycles.
4) 2013 wrap up possibly coming up.
_________________________________________________________________
Scripture
1 Samuel 30:8 "And David inquired of the Lord, “Shall I pursue after this band? Shall I overtake them?” He answered him, “Pursue, for you shall surely overtake and shall surely rescue." [ESV]
Observation
At this point in the story, David had discovered that his hometown of Ziklag had been destroyed by the Amalekites with his family and flock taken away. By the time we find David in verse 8 he and his men have already weeped [v4] and David has even been threatened [v6]. He must have been on an intense emotional roller coaster yet he still sought God first.
Application
This would apply to many various moments in my life. That is, I could look to this verse and be inspired when I feel guilt or shame, or feel uplifted when I am in the throes of despair. Instead, I, on the first of January, 2014, write this to hold myself back; to constrain myself. I've been told that I'm an excitable person, and I happily admit that. I do like to use the word 'passionate' instead, but alas I am indeed prone to overreactions and being swayed by my emotions. Right now, I feel an intense joy and hope for 2014. This year feels like it's going to be huge. I don't know what to expect but I know I want to jump in head first. And here I find myself in need of a calming presence. But more importantly, I know I need to seek Him first to make sure I'm not being led by my emotions but that I am doing all things to further His kingdom. In this passage, David and his men have experienced so many emotions and I'm sure at some point David wanted to react impulsively but he resisted; he controlled himself. That's got to be my goal. This year will be whatever I make it, and it's up to me to make it all about Him.
Prayer
Dear Jesus,
I thank you for this past year that you have given me, and I pray that you bless the next 12 months that you have set before me. I pray that I turn to You before acting to make sure that I'm doing all things with Your kingdom in sight and not as a reaction to my surroundings or situation. I pray for an open heart and open ears that willingly wait upon Your command, Your instruction, and Your confirmation. Let me do Your will. In Your name I pray,
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment